Alright, every now and then we get an e-mail where a friend comments that the blog is interesting, but they want to know how we are "really doing." That is always a completely valid, though somewhat dangerous question. In any case, since the New Year I've been keeping a journal for my devotional time each morning. After writing some thoughts down last week, I thought to myself: "Self, this would be a good thing to post on the blog. It's a little more personal, it has a little more depth, it's just what the crowds have been clamouring for." After a brief deliberation between the management team of Me, Myself, and I, (okay okay, and some prayerful consideration) we/I affirmed the original proposal. Here is the result.
January 9, 2006
Reading
1 Timothy 3
Paul gives Timothy extensive instructions on how to select elders and deacons, because Timothy may have to do this before Paul can come to see him (v.14). Since a whole chapter is devoted to this subject, it was evidently a significant responsibility of Timothy's. I find it really interesting that all of the things that Paul says must be present in the lives elders and deacons fall under the category of character. He doesn't talk about skills or even much about gifts (he does mention that elders need to be able to teach) - the overwhelming focus of the chapter is on the character of potential church leaders. Thus even more important than a leader's ability to talk the talk is his/her ability to walk the walk.
This is something I noticed and respected in the life of the American missionary/pastor who we met at the Osaka International Church. His sermon wasn't earth shattering, but it was simple and it was the gospel. However after the service, when he invited us and another couple out to dinner, and we saw him bump into people he knew at the restaurant, I saw somebody who was walking the walk. He was doing the simple things - sharing the gospel and loving others. He wasn't doing anything fancy or trendy - it was all stuff that I had heard about before - but he was actually doing it, all of it! I've since realized (albeit not for the first time) that I've seen many more Christians (including myself) talk about the Christian lifestyle and mission than I've seen actually living the Christian lifestyle and mission.
There is some profound and difficult challenge in simply making it happen. The life the Bible calls us to - the lives that Paul required elders and deacons to live - is way above and beyond what any of us can actually do. We so desperately need God's help, and we need to pour out our own sweat and blood as well! And again, it's so easy to say, but something else altogether to do....
Prayer
God, I know that in some ways I've come a long way over the past few years. Yet at the same time the standard You have set for me is still way, way up ahead! There is so much more. I can think about it and I can talk about it, but actually doing it - I need Your help. This year I want the words of my mouth to be powerful, but I also want my life to be powerful. Please fill and transform my life on an ongoing basis. Don't let me be lazy or satisifed with treading water. Please help me to keep growing and transforming into a person who's life speaks the gospel.
Memory Verse
1 Timothy 3:16
Without question, this it the great mystery of our faith: Christ appeared in the flesh and was shown to be righteous by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and was announced to the nations. He was believed on in the world and was taken up into heaven.
Monday, January 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment