Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Everybody's Working for the Weekend

Last night we went with Liz and Maki to Round 1, a 5 storey entertainment complex. The Japanese work more hours per week than any other developed nation, but when they play, they take it seriously. Round 1 is a world full of video games and pachinko machines (think Japanese slots), bowling, bull-riding, fishing (yes, real fish), billiards/pool, badminton, basketball, volleyball, archery, driving ranges, batting cages, mini golf, tennis, ping pong, darts, photo booths, mini-bikes, roller skating, karaoke, etc. etc.
Tiffany Reynolds, just after sinking her tournament winning putt. Seconds later she was mobbed by fans and the press. It was Tiffany's first Major in Japan.


When Tiffany isn't knocking down shots on the green, she's driving Tokyo public transit simulators. A woman of many talents ineed. See her leaning on the horn? She's trying to get a scooter to get out of her way. Underneath the calm demeanor is a volcanoe full of molten rage, just waiting to burst forth upon an unsuspecting world. Don't say I didn't warn you.


This is a bowling simulator. Maki is spinning the bowling ball, which makes the virtual ball on the projection screen fly through the streets of Tokyo (or any other major city) towards a set of pins. Tiffany is hoping that Maki gets another gutter ball in the subway entrance. Judging from the look on Maki's face, I think Tiffany just got her wish.


You can take the boy off the prairies, but you can't take the prairies out of the boy. So it's not the Calgary Stampede and the bull is Japanese-sized, but the beast still didn't stand a chance. Not when Steve-O saddles up. The competition is already over, baby. Go home.


Tiffany promised me that when she won this tournament, I'd get the new BMW provided by the sponsor. So even though I didn't come out with the W, I still walked away with the keys to a sweet new ride. I like marriage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have muscular pain!!
Do you?

I am a lack of exercise...

-Maki

The Stiffs said...

Not this time. I had sore arms from trying to hit a home run on every pitch in the batting cages last time (but striking out instead).

Maki I guess you should have used the massage chairs...

Steve

Lisa said...

You gotta love a woman who can drive like that...and in a mini-skirt. Steve, you're a lucky man.